The mission of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms (NYCF) is to influence legislation and legislators for the Lord Jesus Christ. As such, NYCF views the Bible as the Word of God; as an organization, we endeavor to conform our actions to the Bible’s teachings. In the sixth chapter of Luke, Christ said, “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. . . . Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:27b-29, 31).
Following the command of Christ, NYCF expects each of our employees, volunteers, supporters, and participants to abide by the principles contained in this Statement of Nonviolence in connection with all of NYCF’s activities:
- Uphold the sanctity of innocent human life.
- Show Christian charity toward all persons and groups with whom we interact, even when we disagree with them.
- Respect those in authority (Romans 13:1).
- Recognize that hatred is not an option.
- Use only nonviolent means, including prayer, education, and negotiation, to work toward our goals.
- Refrain from using slurs, foul language, slander, or false accusations against any person or group of people.
- Refrain from retaliating or using violence against anyone—including those who may inflict violence or verbal abuse upon us—unless force is necessary to defend ourselves or someone else from bodily harm.
- Oppose unlawful acts of violence against anyone, including acts of violence committed against abortion providers or abortion advocates and acts of violence committed against persons involved in same-sex relationships or behaviors and/or transgendered behavior.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
– The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms (NYCF) exists for the purpose of influencing legislation and legislators for the Lord Jesus Christ.
Founded in April 1982, NYCF has spent decades serving as a statewide lobbying organization on behalf of the Christian community. NYCF focuses its efforts on the New York State Legislature, where the organization works to achieve public policy objectives that are consistent with Biblical ethics and with the principles of the United States Constitution. NYCF’s innovative approach involves a combination of legislative advocacy and pastoral ministry to legislators and staff.
NYCF has participated in many legislative victories since its founding in 1982, including the following:
- Championing the passage of New York’s “Baby AIDS” law, which requires that newborn infants be tested for HIV;
- Keeping adultery laws on the books in New York;
- Successfully working to pass a state-level ban on child pornography;
- Winning passage of New York’s Missing Angels Act, which mandates that birth certificates be provided to parents of stillborn children;
- Preventing pro-abortion groups from obtaining a dedicated stream of taxpayer funding to conduct sex education in public schools; and
- Spearheading a statewide campaign to defeat late-term abortion expansion legislation.
NYCF is a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. NYCF is headquartered in Monroe County, and maintains a consistent presence in the New York State Capitol during the legislative session. NYCF is affiliated with New Yorker’s Family Research Foundation, a nonprofit, tax-exempt educational organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms PAC, a political action committee.